Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Progress Report

What day of the week is it?  Because I have no idea!  This has been the longest day or days we have ever been through.  It is what I expected yet, not so much.  I plan and map things out.  But you know,  I do not consider how long each road or bridge is.  We planned to be in the CVICU for a couple of days.  But I wasn't really prepared for what all goes on in here.  I was thinking that he would be off the breathing tube within 24 hours.  But he isn't and after seeing what we witnessed this morning, we only want him off of it when he is good and ready.  The anesthesiologist that tried to take it out this morning just stopped by and said that we would try again tonight.  Our nurse also informed us that Steven will start doing test trials so that they can make sure of the good and ready part.  This morning there was only 1 test but today they will do 3 or 4.  That puts us at ease...or at least gives us a little peace that it will not be as rushed as it might have been this morning.  From the info that we are getting removing the tube is really the first step and primary focus of his healing and recuperation.  So prayers that tonight or early in the morning Steven is strong and alert enough to have it removed and keep it removed.

Speaking of prayer, it is amazing to have hundreds of people pray for you.  I hope to never need hundreds of people praying for us ever again but it feels incredible.  I think that it should be overwhelming and I guess it is but the prayers are so welcoming and comforting to us.  I know that a lot of people think that our society of social networking is an overload of sharing and I tend to agree.  But thanks to facebook aka spacebook (that is what my dad calls it) and the blog, a ton of prayers are being said for us from all over...friends, family and total strangers.  It is truly incredible. 

Another incredible thing is the community that is established in this hospital.  All you need is a child with a heart defect to become friends around here. We see the same parents and each extends their prayers, their thoughts and shares a little bit about their situation.  None of our stories start off with great news but we all have hope.  Yesterday there were 5 cases aka surgeries...I think the general number is closer to 3, it was a busy day on floor 17 which is the waiting room.  We are in the first room in CVICU so I have no clue how many kids are up here.  But there is just an understanding in everyone's eyes.  It gives incredible comfort to me, we are not alone.  In fact, the young girl in the same room with Steven, who is 3 from Beaumont and had surgery yesterday was told that she was getting a room today.  I got tears in my eyes, I am so happy for them.  It is nice to know that we are not alone.  Another amazing thing about this place is the staff.  They all just help each other out and you can ask anyone for information and they will explain it to you.  Don't get me wrong, I still don't know what most of the info is but it is nice to be told.  We also had a visitor yesterday that was sporting a lab coat and knew our names but we didn't know him.  That is because my sweet friend Maureen had called her old neighbor, Buck Kyle who is doing his residency here at TCH and asked him to come check on us.  It was so nice of her to contact him and for him to come and check on us and he came by and checked on Steven too.  There is a lot of truth to six degrees of separation.  :-)

Well our sweet mess is starting to squirm so I will update you later on how he is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment