Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Parenting Book, Hamster In The Wheel and A Week From Today!

Has anyone ever read a real parenting book?  If so, are there any chapters that cover last word syndrome?  Our Kindergartner has a bad case of it and I looked it up on Web MD but there isn't any info on a cure so I think I might be looking in the wrong place.  I love that Kindergartner but we need to get this fixed asap!  We all know I have an overdose of stress right now, therefore I am not dealing with LWS very well.  I know that I wasn't a perfect child but I know that I was scared to death of the bar of ivory soap on the bathroom sink.  I can smell it now...or can I taste it now?  However, Miller has no fear.  Maybe he doesn't fear me or fear any action of mine but shouldn't he?  I don't want him to be scared of me but I want him to fear punishment for doing wrong.  I will tell you that I also need to pick my battles or at least my timing.  We had a rough morning before school and I hate that our day started that way.  There is nothing worse that arguing first thing in the morning.  I am just having a hard time getting thru to him and having the patience to stay at it consistently rather than blow up at him.  Parenting is the most difficult job ever!

Of course, I am just having a hard time right now anyway.  I feel like the hamster in the wheel.  From work to home, I just keep running.  At work, my list and stack of files isn't getting any smaller.  I am determined to get everything marked off my list and have every file off of my desk before I leave Friday.  I am thankful for the great WORK FRIENDS that I have because even though I am running on the wheel they will jump on and run with me.  At home, we have so much to prepare for and we haven't really gotten started.  I haven't even made reservations for a hotel yet.  We have just been busy with "life" that to take time to blog has even been hard.  Who knew that carving out time to blog would be difficult?  If it wasn't for the crock pot we wouldn't have had anything to eat the last two days.   I know that this too shall pass, I just cannot wait for it to.  So for everyone that is reading this thinking that what I am typing is your life too, now you know you are not alone!  ha!

Speaking of being alone or not alone, I am so happy that people are reading this blog and finding a sense of relief that they are not alone with their concerns or fears for their children when it comes to heart defects, surgery and the overall experience.  I started this blog for our family and friends to keep up with Steven and Miller but I know that others are reading it and know exactly how I feel because they too are going thru the same experiences with their own infants.  I have said this before and I think that I have typed it too...regardless of who we know that has had successful open heart surgery, this is still open heart surgery on our child.  There is a great fear of sending our baby thru "double doors" for his heart to be put on bypass while a gifted surgeon patches his hole in his tiny heart.  I am thankful that not too many people I know can understand what that fear is...I am also thankful that if this blog is read by others who can understand that fear, then they know they are not alone.  At this time next week we will be past the sending him thru ''double doors" and instead holding a little vigil by his bed while he is in the CVICU.  I wish I could wiggle my nose and be there.  I fear the "double doors" but I will keep praying for strength and peace for these next couple of weeks.  I know that our sweet mess will be just sweet next week. 

You know me, I can't end this without a picture of my sweet mess...here he is with his cousin in their LSU pj's!  Do you understand my analogy of linebacker and kicker??? 

2 comments:

  1. what a precious sweet mess! and a darlin little cousin too! yes sweetie the double doors are very scary! i've not had to have one with heart surgery but two of mine have had surgery and ali was just last year and it was still hard. even when they are big kids!! but rest assured he is in the hands of the Great Physician as well and so are you. big hugs to you. you will all be in my prayers and i know your little sweet mess is going to be all healthy after this little problem gets fixed up! love you
    i can do ALL things THRU Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad y'all have a date set so you can move on to the next phase. I will continue to pray for your strength and patience through this difficult time. You are so strong, just keep in mind that the glory of God will never lead you where the grace of God can't protect you! Prayer is sooo powerful! I love you all!

    ReplyDelete