Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Questions, Answers and More Questions....

I am extremely sorry that this is very tardy but I have just been so busy that I haven't managed the 5 minutes to collect my thoughts to blog.  Monday was a typical day at TCH...a total of 7 hours!  We started with the sedation and Sweet Mess had the drunk drugs.  He didn't seem to like being inebriated, which I will remind him of when he is older.  It lasted just enough for the ECHO and then he stayed groggy for the rest of the day and night.  Lucky thing was very well rested when he woke up yesterday morning!  The fellow that we saw on Monday was the same one that Dr. K spoke with on Thursday so it was nice that he was "aware" of the situation.  When it comes to Steven's heart, we are all good!!!!  They do not care to see us again until Feb.  We are more than thrilled about that.  Prayers have been answered!!!  After meeting with cardiology we had to go have blood work and a renal ultrasound to check out his kidneys.  The concern is if the kidneys are not functioning properly then they can cause hypertension.  (By the way, his blood pressure seems to be getting under control with the new medication it was in the upper 90's low 100's)  The cardiologist spoke with the nephrologist and we will continue with the bp medication as we are until Steven can be evaluated by them.  So when we left we were not sure about anything other than the heart looks great!  However yesterday morning I rec'd a phone call from the cardiologist and the lab work looks great and the ultrasound showed no issues with the kidneys.  Of course, that called for the happy dance but we still need to find out what is causing the high bp.  Is the heart still not aware that it is fixed?  Is it genetic?  Is it something with the kidneys that is so small that the ultrasound doesn't pick it up?  We will just have to wait and see.  I will be calling the renal care today to make the appointment.  I also have to take Steven for some more lab because although we were at TCH for 7 hours the lab work was not complete for the order so we need to go have some more done.  Needless to say we are relieved that the kidneys look good but we are very confused about what could be causing the hypertension.  I am pretty sure that we will not have an answer for awhile.  The number of pediatric nephrologist is very low so it might be a month or two or three or...before we get in.  I pray that there will be an opening within the next month or two so that we can try and get this resolved. 

Well I better go get ready for work so that Miller is not embarrassed by me when I drop him off for school.  Yesterday I decided to sleep in and drop him off then come home and get ready.  He looked at me and said "I cannot give you a hug or a kiss if you are wearing that."  Really?  I do not get out of the car, I drop him off???  And NO I was not wearing pj's, I was in shorts and a tshirt!  But it is alright, I will be getting to work early for awhile.  My dear sweet "work friend", Sherry has taken another job and yesterday was her last day.  I hope that she loves her new job but I am sad that she will not be working with me.  We have had 10 years of friendship which will not end but it will stink not to see her everyday.  Good Luck Sherry!!!!  Needless to say, I am going to be "Sherry" for awhile and me and "Ben" until he gets back on Monday.  Wish me luck!!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment