Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Heart of Our Adventure....a year ago!

Ok, so the blog has taken a back seat to work, homework and sleep.  Yep, a day in the life of me!  But I cannot let this day, well tomorrow pass without a post. 

A year ago this evening we were sitting in a room on the 15th floor of TCH waiting for the morning to come and the longest day of our life begin.  Dramatic, huh?  But for parent's of an almost 3 month old baby boy, it was a very dramatic day.  Tomorrow is kinda like a mini-birthday in my eyes for Steven.  September 20th is the day that his heart was healed and his life began so maybe I should call it his "Life Day."  I am one of those with an annoying memory, I remember everything...it is a blessing and a curse.  But I look back on a year ago and I think, when did I pay bills?  when did I get school shopping done for Miller?  when did we grocery shop?  who did the laundry?  From the time Steven was born until the surgery our lives were focused on the amount of ounces he gained, or how few he gained.  how long did it take to finish a bottle, did he finish the bottle?  what day was the next doctors appointment?  how did his blood work look?  Our alarms were going off at all hours of the day and night for medicine.  It was such a strange time.  I remember so much but yet if I have had a memory lapse it was certainly in those first 3 months of his life.  But in the end, we all recovered...even my memory!  Today our hands and hearts are full of joy!  Today we have friends from a community that I never gave much thought to...the heart community.  This week I was reminded that not all heart babies recover. My heart hurts for a family that knows first hand the other outcome for some CHD babies.  We have always known that Steven's surgery was a one and done and we feel extremely blessed!!! 

So just to recap....a year ago
 
 
 A couple of weeks ago...
 
 
What a difference a year makes!!!!
 
 
 
Side note:  Sports wrap....yes the Saints are stinking it up, I know!  Texans are looking strong!  Cowboys were "BACK" after week one and Cowgirls were "BACK" in week two!  LSU is on a roll but I cannot wait for a real game for them!  McNeese is charging ahead!  Oh, and USC lost to Stanford again!!!!
 
Side side note:  The memory is back so for all of my friends that know me, yes I can still direct you to any location if I have been there once...even if it was many years ago.  Yes, I can still recall what I was wearing on the Thursday before Good Friday in 2007 and Tressa I remember your outfit too.  If any one needs to know, just ask :-)
 


1 comment:

  1. Happy Life Day to your little man : ) How surreal it seems that it was all a year ago! Enjoy this special day --- I think a cake or some baked goods is in order??? : )

    ReplyDelete